The Chronicles of.......me

Wednesday, January 05, 2005

My trip to Turkey...

So, I am back!
I had so much fun . I didn't expect to feel so good during this vacation because I had a bad feeling and I almost didn't wanna go.
It took us 19 hours to get from Bucarest to Istambul!!! Imagine that. About 6-700 kilometers in 19 hours. We went at the speed of a snail. A raging snail. At the Turkish customs we waited for about 4 hours and a half and I don't know why.
It took us 8 hours to cross Bulgaria. About 350 kilometers in 8 hours!!! I am very sorry to say this and I appologise if I offend someone, but I don't like Bulgaria. I have never imagined that a country could look like this and if someone had told me I wouldn't have believed it. I might as well call it a deserted country. I don't think I have seen more than 20 people in Bulgaria. The streets were deserted, the houses looked abandoned, everywhere I looked there was dirt and desolation. If there are so little people there, how come there is so much dirt around?!?!?!?!?
On our way to Turkey it rained all the time. 19 hours of non-stop rain. And although I love rain, I felt like screaming at one point. Sadness, dirt, destruction, bad roads, no traffic indicators, villages that looked like refugee camps. I have heard that there are beautiful places in Bulgaria, but I wonder where thay are because I haven't seen any. The roads were so bad that at times I thought the coach was going to break down.That is why it took us so long to cross Bulgaria : the bad roads, the on-going rain and the fog. 350 kilometers in approximately 8 hours in Bulgaria and 250 km in Turkey in 3 hours, same fog, same rain, but perfect highway.
Now..............Turkey is a different story! I liked Istambul. 1850 mosques! Impressinve amount. Everywhere I looked I could see a mosque. St. Sophia and the Blue Mosque especially.I loved it. The Bazaar! I went there three days in a row for 3-4 hours daily and I still haven't seen everything.I loved that I could bargain for everything I wanted to buy and that everyone was so nice to me.Of course, because they wanted me to buy something from their shop. But I liked it anyway.
The Asian part of Istambul, the bridges between the Asian and the European side, the boat trip in the Bosphorus, the kebab, the tea, the spices, the baklava.........everything is worth seeing.
But at the same time I was shocked by the houses I have seen there. Most of them looked like they were going to fall down. Sure, there are new buildings, the new part of the town, but the old one.....................is not that nice!
A town of contrasts!
I liked it and I would advise everybody to see it,but there are things I didn't like about it.Dirt, men who stare at you persistently, people grabbing your arm and asking you to visit their shop, garbage on the ground. But a religion, a tradition, a civilisation so different from what I have seen so far in my trips.
The peole are very friendly. At the hotel I felt like a princes. On New Year's party I had so much fun and the hotel staff was perfect...........................but some other time about this.

1 Comments:

  • Hi Niki, thanks for dropping by!

    I've been to Istambul and it was great, indeed. All that history, all that architecture :D Pictures, pictures, pictures...

    Bulgaria sounded like quite an ordeal, on the other hand. You must be glad that part of the trip is over!

    By Blogger Mathieu, at 1:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home