The Chronicles of.......me

Tuesday, March 01, 2005

Martisor

Today, March 1st, it is MARTISOR day in Romania. ( I guess you can read that : martzeeshor, or something like that).
Tradition says that men must give to the women they love (wife, mother, sister.......) a token of their feelings hung onto a cord made of red and white thread. Sure, nowadays the tradition has evolved and both women and men can give a MARTISOR to the people close to their heart.
These two colours simbolize the two seasons that coexist : red for winter (the fire in the fireplace) and white for the purity and rebirth of nature.
You must wear this MARTISOR for nine days and after that hang it on the branches of a tree. If the tree is healthy and grows many leaves and flowers, the person will have a full and happy year.


Also, there is a legend about these first nine days of March. The legend of the old hag Dochia.
And it goes like this.
Dochia had a dayghter-in-law she hated. One day she sent her to the river to wash a dirty jacket. But the young woman, as much as she tried to, couldn't get the jacket clean and she could barely move her hands because of the cold water of the river. Suddenly a young man appeared. His name was MARTISOR. He found out what had happened and gave the young woman a flower with red and white petals. He told her that he could do magic things and that if she would wash the jacket once more, it would be clean. And he was right.
So the young woman went home to Dochia. But Dochia saw the flower her daughter-in-law had, and since she wouldn't tell her were she got it from, Dochia went to the mountains with her sheep to find one.
When she left, it was really cold outside, so she got dressed with nine jackets. But it got warmer and warmer, so Dochia threw away one jacket each day. In the nineth day she had no jacket to wear and it suddenly got very, very cold.
Then, MARTISHOR appeared to her and asked her if she could imagine how cold her daughter-in-law must have been while she washed the jacket in the river. He also told her that he was responsible for that terribly cold day, and disappeared.
Dochia wandered for a while and froze to death.
And then...................spring came. Thanks to MARTISOR.

Ok, Dochia's end might sound a bit too rough, but Romanians are punished severely for their mistakes. At least in these stories.

One more thing. You must choose a day between the 1st and the 9th of March. You call that day your "old hag". Don't laugh! If the day is sunny and warm, you will have a good year. Well........if it is cold and rainy, I guess it won't be that nice.
My "old hag " is on the 4th. Hope it will be a nice old hag!

9 Comments:

  • Oh, I love that story, I have to post a link to it on my blog, it has to be shared!! so cool! Thanks for sharing!

    By Blogger Julie, at 2:39 AM  

  • That's a very interesting holiday! I don't think we have any holidays with such good stories behind them in the US - even the Valentine's Day sotry isn't as good.

    By Blogger Wray Davis, at 5:00 AM  

  • Hoe beautiful...what a lovely tradition!

    Sooo...who gave you yours???

    By Blogger kitten, at 6:02 PM  

  • That was HOW..sorry..I need to learn how to type

    By Blogger kitten, at 6:02 PM  

  • Well......I didn't expect you to find it that interesting.Thank you.
    But you know, I think that I don't appreciate these type of myths that much because I've grown up with them, these are stories I have lived with every day of my life. Romania is very rich when it comes to myths, traditions, rituals, you have no ideea..........I think that a book wouldn't be enough to write about them.
    If you enjoyed it so much, maybe I will tell you some other stories like these.

    JULIE : thank you for the link.

    WRAY DAVIS : thanks.

    KITTEN : I got mine from my mom, my brother and his father, the guys at work, my aunt. I am expecting my best friend to come and give me one.

    By Blogger niki, at 6:25 PM  

  • I wish you could take a picture and post it, I'm trying to picture what it is like.


    Yes, more stories, definately!

    By Blogger Julie, at 2:15 AM  

  • I've been in Canada for several years now, and that's one of the things I miss. They celebrate Valentine's Day here, but it's not quite the same, it's way too commercialized.

    Know what I miss more though? Mucenici .. hmm .. yum ..

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8:43 PM  

  • Very cool. I love learning about various cultures. Thanks! :)

    By Blogger Meadow, at 8:18 PM  

  • Hi Niki! I just posted a quiche recipe on my blog for you!

    By Blogger Russell Ragsdale, at 3:47 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home